7/24/07

Flying Low

Things are happening fast. Still, I have to wonder how many games/ months/ years will my franchise be held hostage. That's the wrong attitude, I guess, because we fed the beast by signing him to the giant contract. Anyway, on the sports side, everyone seems to be writing off the Atlanta Falcons for this season, like we depended soooo much on Mike Vick anyway. I say the guys we put on the field come out with a giant chip on their shoulder for all the crap they've had to deal with and funnel that energy into something positive. I again predict the Falcons will have a solid season unless other injuries crop up. I'm ready to get on with football.

The British Open was exciting but I was left a little melancholy at the finish. I was pulling for Sergio to carry the torch for Seve and he came ever so close. Unfortunately, they send you straight to the press hounds and you've got to tell the world about how terrible you feel about your collapse on the grand stage. Serg said some things I wish he hadn't, but I understand how crushed he must have been. He should get credit for just trying to answer the questions so close to the moment. He tried to be honest about the how he felt and he's getting crushed for it. Which brings me back to ESPN and the downward spiral of the Worldwide Leader. On the 6 o'clock SportsCenter in Monday, Mike Greenburg anchored a segment on the British Open and Sergio's post-match comments. He concluded by telling Garcia to, "Shut up." Who the hell is Mike Greenburg? Is he a journalist of any renown? I know he's not a former athlete with experiences from which to form an opinion. Yet there he is with a forum, acting like an almighty expert with swagger enough to tell a world class athlete to shut up. A competitor who had just given everything he had in competition and then had the courage to face the inquisition when he could have walked away to his private thoughts. I applaud the effort of Garcia and Harrington and hope that Mike Greenburg will shut the hell up. Although, you've gotta like the Harrington karma if you live in ATL!

The Braves are off to a great start in San Francisco and Smoltz had no problem pitching to Bury Bonds. The piece o' crap will get the record sometime soon but I don't think the blood will be on our hands. The TV waters become turbulent over the next few days as TBS is taking the team hostage for a week so I'm stuck with Chip (Baby Prophecy) Caray for what will seem like an eternity. I won't waste too much space on him here because I'm sure I'll be wound up for an entire rant in a few days. Anyway, I think this road trip might be a springboard to a typical Braves' push through August which will return this team to its proper glory. Carpe noctem. (They're playing a night game tomorrow)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Falcons have only a fraction of a chance to do anything positive with Vick now out. It is only a fraction because he didn't bring much to the table anyway except attendance and a first down scramble now and then. 3 and Out as like to call him or better known as Ron Mexico, Pukie, or Mike Vick is one on sports biggest flops and embarrassments. Rylan Leaf has never felt so good. Now he is gone the "Go-Doe" will be half empty (or half full for you optimist). Prepare for the re-building process. Next Falcons playoff game? eeeehhhhhh
2010

Tony Aguirre said...

I think a lot of people feel this way. I won't give up on playoffs THIS year but then surely by next year, if not.