7/31/07

In-Tex!

Hot damn, John Schuerholz is back and this time, it's personal. Not really, but what good business. I'll be at the Turner Field for tonight's game but at this moment I can't get confirmation that Mark Teixeira will be wearing the tomahawk in time. I sure would like to see his name in the clean-up slot when I look up at the big board. When Fred McGriff played his first game for the Braves, the press box caught on fire in the fifth inning. They played through it somehow and the Braves came back for a big win. The momentum of that night lasted for a few years. We'll miss Saltalamacchia, one of the greatest names to come through here in years (Pocoroba, comes to mind) but we wish him well and that he finds stardom in the American League. Meanwhile, I can blow my own horn. If you read back two weeks here in the Malted Falcon, you'll see that I asked Kyle Davies if he wanted to be in spring training with Kansas City or Tampa Bay next year. Well, he just got traded to the Royals for Octavio Dotel who could wind up being our closer if the Wick Man doesn't get his head out of his ample ass. Good luck, Kyle. Ron Mahay, the lefty, could be the hidden jewel of the Teixeira trade, hope, hope. In one cross country flight and one off day, The Atlanta Braves look like the class of the East once again.
Still, I don't feel like the actual juggernaut starts til tomorrow because I can't exactly root against the Mets tonight. Tom Glavine is going for win number 300. Now, if you call yourself a Braves fan, you should be rooting for Tom tonight. I'm not going to go into all the foolishness of the last few years. I'll just say that if you boo Tom Glavine, you're not an Atlanta Braves fan. I'll take it a step further. If you boo Tom and you think you love the Braves, you are just a moron. It's really that simple. He gave us a World Series and his plaque will be in Cooperstown with him wearing a Braves' uniform. Good luck, Tom. And then I hope you don't win another one this year. Get it done tonight and then August belongs to Bobby Cox and the boys.

It looks worse every day for Michael Vick. But I really don't attach football thoughts to him anymore. Mostly it's a circus but I have to put up with ESPN saying almost daily that Atlantans still support Vick. They make us look stupid by going into the downtown barber shops and taking whatever screwball comments they get and run with it. Atlanta has spoken. Get a clue, dummies. Most Atlantans now are interested in going forward with Joey Harrington and just want the words Atlanta and Michael Vick to no longer appear in the same paragraph. He's from Virginia, right? That's where your problems started.

No comments: