7/18/07

Hail the Harrington Era!

Ok, I'm trying to take all this in at once, reading the AJC, CNNSI, and ESPN with the Baby Prophecy in one ear calling the Braves' game. So far Smoltz looks sharp. And I've got to get on to a plane to Scotland later this evening so I can cover the British Open. I'd hoped I wouldn't have to write about the Falcons until training camp starts next week but fate intervened. This is one of the ugliest events in Atlanta sports history which is no small boast. I crowed with glory when the announcement came across the wire in 2001 that we had traded for the top pick in the draft. I had watched several Virginia Tech games that year and couldn't believe the Falcons were going to get the most exciting player to come out of college in decades. This was a moment that was supposed to elevate the franchise for the new millennium, and I guess it did for a couple of seasons, but now I've got a sick feeling for my team and I don't think it's going to go away for a few years. Ever had a hangover last more than one day? I hope my internal plumbing can weather the storm.

Character matters. If you asked me if I could reverse history and the Atlanta Hawks could win multiple championships if we had Dennis Rodman on the team, I'd take things the way they are now. I wouldn't take that piece of crap on my team for one day in exchange for a ring. I have to wonder at the mentality of the person that likes dogfighting. Now I don't live in a sedate world and I understand the primordial fascination that goes back to the days of gladiators in the coliseum. I understand blood lust, it's in our genes. But we evolve and we give one another comfort that we are protected from chaos and we are protected from those who would take advantage of the weak. Dogfighting preys on the weak, the animal whose faith is blind and trusting. Ugh.

I don't even want to stand on that soapbox. My concern here is my team. Daunte Culpepper? Please. That sack of meat was finished three years ago before he blew his knee out. The fact is, over the past two seasons, Vick was 7-9 as a starter on a team without much competition in the division. Ever since Vick signed the huge contract a few years ago, he's looked soft. That's a plain fact. The guy doesn't like to get hit and that's what his game is all about. I admit I was looking forward to seeing how number 7 would look in a new offense, but after the last two years my faith was shaken and I, like a lot of fans (I bet), was already thinking about who the Falcons' QB would be in two years and what a balanced offense would look like. I'm not giving up on THIS season. We have a lot of great players and we're going to compete. You heard it here. But it is going to be a heavy burden to hear about this all season long, every game, every time the logo appears on the tube. Woof.

Smoltz has gone six without giving up a run but we haven't scored yet. Grr. He's struck out nine so I guess the shoulder is ok but I'll be watching him close the rest of the season, I guess. No score, two out in the seventh with a man on second, and the Reds let the pitcher hit. K. Thank you! Let's get some runs, as Harry Caray would've said. Old, Salty Balls delivers. Hee haw.
Make that ouch. Soriano just served a two-out gopher ball. Down 2-1 in the 8th. But the Baby Prophecy is having a decent game. Something to build on? If only. Gotta dig in for a rally. Holy crap, Julio franco just re-signed and will wear number 14 tomorrow night. Somebody's going to Richmond. Hmm, Thorman, Davies, Ascanio? Anyway, Andruw comes thru for first and third, one out. Let's do this, Frenchy. Yup, sac fly, tie game. F*** yeah. Going to the ninth, thunder and rain here in Smyrna so they've got about 25 minutes before it hits at the stadium. Don't need a delay, I've gotta travel. The Wick Man comes on and he's tough at home. Let's get him a win, shall we? I knew I spoke too soon. Wick Man walks someone with one out and B.P. doesn't mention it until ball four. Watch the damn game!! You've got a great seat, you poodle. "The point of what we were saying obliquely, throughout the broadcast, is that.... " He really just said that. Ernie Johnson, where are you today? Anyway, bottom of the ninth and Mike Stanton in the game. Have the Reds thrown in the towel? Sheesh, he struck out the side. Ok, gotta leave you in the tenth. See you across the pond!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the Feds finish investigating Vick, perhaps they should look into why the local police failed to pursue the case.

Tony Aguirre said...

I think, for once, things are going to proceed like we live in a normal world. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Anonymous said...

Great Vick post. Hopefully this is the tippig point and these athletes will be held responsible for there actions. Vick and Pacman are held in high regard be some because of what they have done! scary

Tony Aguirre said...

Thanks. Reality might just triumph over perception after all.