7/16/07

Zoning In

So begins the Weekend Warp... The Braves look mighty coming out of the break with a sweep o' the Pirates, but c'mon, this is a team managed by Jim Tracy so it's no big surprise. Andruw Jones looks ready to have a normal second half so it'll feel like he's on fire, compared to the frigid results up until about the 4th of July. If you booed Andruw before, shame on you. He's a lifelong Brave to this point and he's given Atlanta eleven great years. I noticed Chris Woodward played like a man on fire today so it's pretty obvious he knows Julio Franco will clear waivers and be available in a few days. I can already see old man Julio with the big hit in September to crush the Mets. Hope, hope. Chip -Baby Prophecy- Caray got to call two of the three games this weekend which left me a little tense. Today, with the score 1-1 in the 4th, he starts talking about one of his favorite subjects: the Florida Marlins. Where does this come from? And we have to talk about the standings every day, for our division and the Central, for some reason. I guess because the Baby Prophecy still considers himself "Mr. Chicago", even though I'm sure Cubs' fans are laughing at their good fortune to be rid of him. Anyway, Buddy Carlyle is the big story. He's our third best starter right now. Kyle Davies, you gotta decide if you want to be a Brave or in spring training with Kansas City or Tampa Bay next year. I'm pulling for the local guy but I haven't seen much to give me hope.

The weekend went out with a fizzle, with ESPN running the ESPY Awards. Twice, in case you missed it, and I wouldn't exactly say I was missing it. Basically, it feels like the whole "Who is more Now?" crap to the highest setting. It's Sunday night and the first SportsCenter comes on at 3 a.m. Does this make any sense? It's like that joke, though, about the food at the restaurant being so bad, and such small portions. I don't know if I would've watched SportsCenter anyway but on Sunday night I'd like to think it would be there for familiarity, if nothing else.

I'm looking forward to the British Open in a few days. I'm thinking of heading over to Scotland and doing some live reports on the pampered lot that we know as the professional golfer. We'll see how that goes. I'm praying for drizzle, yo, and wind that will send you running for a clear nip of the local nectar.

On the Hawks' front, reports from the NBA summer league make it sound like Shelden Williams is in the same boat as Chris Woodward for the Braves and he's trying to play his way on to the team, while he's still on it. Al Horford and Acie Law are fitting right in but I learned not to get excited about summer league results last year when Marvin Williams was the summer league MVP. I thought he was ready for a huge year, and he didn't have a bad one, but he hasn't made me forget Chris Paul yet and I'm praying that that will happen in the next few years, but I'm breathing freely while I wait. Mike Woodson is still the coach (term used loosely). I haven't recovered yet from the stab in the back of the horrible new uniforms. What a failure and lost opportunity to reconnect with the forlorn Atlanta Hawk fan. A disgusting lack of vision.
Sorry to end on that note. Bring on the Reds.

No comments: